Hey Creepy Catalogers,
It’s a great weekend to stay home and watch horror movies! Netflix added a few great horror movies so let’s get right into it.
Best of Netflix:
The Clovehitch Killer. This is a really well done independent horror movie and it was finally added to Netflix this week. I love how this is a fully fictional story that is scary and compelling in it’s own right, but it also draws on a lot of not well-known info about the BTK Strangler. It’s about a boy who suspects his father might be his small town’s famed “Clovehitch” serial killer. To me, it sounds exactly like BTK’s daughter’s account of her upbringing she wrote about in her memoir, A Serial Killer’s Daughter. You can read about which parts of the movie are directly based on BTK and which are made up here.
Zombieland. Netflix also added one of the funniest horror comedies in my opinion. Unfortunately the movie’s sequel, Zombieland: Double Tap, is still only available on Amazon. A fun fact I learned while reading about this movie is that Bill Murray was only asked to be in the movie a week before they filmed his scenes. There was another big name actor lined up to do the cameo who pulled out at the last minute. Also, there’s a reason his mansion might look familiar to Real Housewives of Atlanta fans, it used to belong to Lee Najjar aka Big Poppa.
Best of the rest:
The New Daughter. Streaming on Prime. Whitney Houston’s incredible banger (one of many) from The Bodyguard soundtrack, I Have Nothing, has been trending on TikTok lately so I’ve been remembering how truly phenomenal The Bodyguard is as a movie. It’s not horror, but it inspired me to add Kevin Costner’s entire filmography to my watchlist and his 2009 film, The New Daughter, is. The New Daughter is about a recently divorced novelist who moves to a country home in South Carolina with his son and daughter. The family soon discovers a burial mound near their house. Afterwards, the man’s daughter begins to change in frightening ways.
Creepy link library:
- Real life murders that inspired horror movies (a thread).
- Hulu will soon drop a “creepy wellness” miniseries from the Big Little Lies writer.
- Jordan Peele’s next movie will be a star vehicle for Keke Palmer.
- The details of the Josh Duggar case are really bad (tw).
- Haunting footage from the “Putney Pusher” case where it looks like a man out for a job just randomly decides to murder a lady in his path.
- There’s a new person of interest in the Delphi murders.
- Elements Of ‘The Clovehitch Killer’ That Were Inspired By The Real-Life BTK Strangler.
Happy streaming and stay spooky!!!