Hey Creepy Catalog,
There’s a funny meme going around that the plot of I am Legend (2007) takes place in 2021 and starts when the antidote for a contagious virus accidentally turns people into zombies. That is the plot of I am Legend but the movie takes place in 2012 so unfortunately it’s not really a creepy prediction of the near future. But that leads to a question I need my fellow horror fans to ponder: what horror movie would be the scariest if it were actually a prediction for 2021?
I’m still working on my answer, but so far I’m thinking for me personally, the answer is that the videotape from The Ring starts going around. With that in mind, here’s the best horror that’s streaming this weekend:
Best of Netflix:
The Unsettling. New series on Netflix. A girl is brought to a new foster home only to find herself trapped in a house of horrors. 😱
Best of Hulu:
Possessor. An assassin who uses mind control to take over victim’s bodies struggles with a hit when the host fights back. Worse, during the hit he damages the implant that allowed her to control him and the assassin finds herself stuck in his head. It’s gotten great reviews so if you are watching with a picky movie watcher, this is a good one.
Best of Prime:
The Swerve. The plot of this horror movie is a mom going insane and spiraling out of control. I can’t tell if it’s going to be really awesome or really boring so we are going to find out together.
This week’s Horror Happenings:
- If none of the above are getting you hyped for movie night, one of my favorite suspense movies is back on Netflix.
- Scream 3 was released 21 years ago yesterday.
- The NFL concussion cover-up conspiracy theory.
- The “dark forest theory” will creep you out and make you happy we haven’t discovered aliens (yet).
- It was George A. Romero’s birthday yesterday. The director is considered the godfather of the zombie movie. He died from lung cancer in 2017.
- Horror movie scenes that live in my head rent free.
- Horror should have its own category at the Golden Globes.
Next week we’ll figure out the best horror streaming for a bloody + romantic Valentine’s Day in quarantine. Stay spooky!