Hey Creepy Catalogers,
Ready for a 3-day weekend of horror? I’m planning to do nothing but lay on the couch and binge horror movies with my dogs. I may take breaks to do a fall colors hike or carve a pumpkin, but during Halloween month it’s definitely all about the horror. Here’s the best of what you’ll find streaming this weekend:
Best of Netflix:
The Haunting of Bly Manor. This is a big premiere for Netflix, season 2 of last year’s super successful The Haunting of Hill House. This season is a riff off of one of the most famous horror stories of all time, The Turn of the Screw by Henry James. It’s about a nanny who uncovers a series of disturbing secrets in her new employer’s mansion. In addition to horror, it’s being referred to as a “gothic romance” so we’ll probably get some sexy scenes as well.
[*] PRO TIP: if these movies don’t strike your fancy for this weekend, click the links anyway and add them to your list on each streaming service. Next time you’re bored trying to figure out what to watch you’ll have a few more curated options to choose from.
Best of Hulu:
Insidious: The Last Key. The Insidious series has been massively slept on outside of the horror community. This last installment of the franchise explores the background of paranormal investigator Elise Rainier as she came to know the Insidious universe. (Don’t worry, you don’t have to have seen the previous movies to get what’s happening or enjoy the movie). Watch with the lights off! It’s super spooky.
Best of Prime:
The Lie. This new thriller by Blumhouse is about a teenage girl who makes an impulsive decision that results in her friend’s death. Her parents decide to cover for her but regret their decision when they begin to question whether their daughter made a mistake or committed premeditated murder.
This week’s Horror Happenings:
- We’re counting down the all time creepiest episodes of Law and Order: SVU
- Here’s a list of YouTube shows that fans think are superior to American Murder: The Family Next Door.
- HBO says their Stephen King adaptation, The Outsider, might be back for another season.
- People are excited about the first glimpse of Anne Hathaway in the remake of The Witches (based on the Roald Dahl novel).
- Chris Watts is getting love letters in jail.
- 37 Creepy Stories Of Serial Killers That Have Stuck With People Over The Years
- Something disturbing af is going on with my Netflix account…
If you haven’t seen our Halloween Shop yet, we have some limited creepy merch available for the season!
If you have a favorite scary movie that’s streaming somewhere, give me a heads up! I love learning about people’s favs and checking out new horror. Enjoy the long weekend (of horror) and stay spooky!