Hey Creepy Catalogers,
Here’s the best of what’s streaming this weekend:
Honeymoon (2014). Streaming on Prime. This is a romantic horror movie about a newlywed couple, Paul (Harry Treadaway) and Bea (Rose Leslie from Game of Thrones), on their honeymoon at the woman’s family cabin. At first the couple is clearly enjoying their wedded bliss but after a bizarre incident where Bea sleepwalks into the woods, Paul becomes suspicious of her strange behavior. Honeymoon is a unique “cabin in the woods” horror movie that is pretty scary. It was co-written and directed by Leigh Janiak who went on to direct the Fear Street trilogy for Netflix. I think the final scene of Honeymoon is one of the best in the genre.
Inventing Anna (2022). Streaming on Netflix. For true crime fans, Inventing Anna is a fun and juicy fictional series based on a magazine article about glamorous grifter Anna Delvey. While I did not like how the story was told through the eyes of a journalist (why?) and not Anna herself, Julia Garner (Ozark) is excellent as the title character and I binged the entire series in one weekend.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974). Streaming on Tubi. It’s a great time to rewatch a classic horror movie that has greatly influenced the genre. Ti West’s new film, X, is in theaters and is an homage to this film and other independent slasher movies. It’s worth seeing in the theater and it would be fun to brush up on TCM first. For the uninitiated, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a movie about a group of kids traveling through rural Texas who run afoul of a cannibalistic family of savages. It’s also a Vietnam movie, an artsy indie film, and a movie about exploitation and meat.
This week in horror:
- Ben Stiller will be starring as Jack Torrance in a stage production of The Shining.
- Christina Ricci is answering our prayers and bringing a Wednesday Addams series to Netflix.
- Someone made a pretty good TikTok about what The Wizard of Oz would be like as a true crime story.
- If you see X in the theater, make sure you stay past the credits for a surprise!
- Battle royale movies, ranked.
- Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2 is better than you remember.
- 19 of the most haunting lines in literature.
- Some fun Planet of the Apes trivia.
Happy streaming and stay spooky!!